Addison Green Meadows Shopping Center is celebrating 57 years in Addison.
Addison business facts
• More than 45 companies employing more than 100 employees each currently call Addison “home.”
• 300 companies have 20 or more workers and employ 43 percent of Addison’s workforce.
• Businesses with less than 20 employees comprise upward of two-thirds of all Addison-based business.
• Home to many businesses is the 198-acre Meadows Business Park, along with the 70-acre Addison Business Center, a 37-acre Tollway Park and a 30-acre Corporate Center.
The strength of Addison’s business community can be measured in many ways, but none is more telling than the number of companies celebrating 10, 15, 25 and 50-plus years within in the community. Roots run deep and feature an array of family-owned and operated, larger corporate operations and industrial headquarters. The diverse and strong business community fuels Addison’s economy. Relying heavily on Addison’s skilled workforce and the commitment of the village, local companies provide a wealth of services and produce electronics, industrial gears and numerous point-of-purchase materials. Companies with long-term roots in Addison include:
Celebrating 53 Years
Krage’s Mobil Servicenter
191 E. Lake St., Addison
History: Krage’s Mobil Servicenter is a full-service preventive maintenance and auto repair center, which has served Addison since 1959.
Ted Krage opened his Standard Oil service station with its new prototype bay, a small car wash and a focus on minor repairs on Nov. 4, 1959. After completing his Army service, Ted’s son, Jim, joined his dad in 1961 and was later named partner. Jim purchased his dad’s interests. In 1986, Cathy Krage Sparling and Vic Griseto became partners, allowing the team to add three Amoco stations in Addison including sites at Route 53 and Army Trail Road (1979); Swift and Army Trail roads (1981) and Lake Street and Addison Road (1986).
1966: Additional fuel tank added to accommodate new product called “unleaded.”
1967: Signage changed from Standard Oil to Amoco.
Added two service bays for more extensive repair work.
1970: Converted building to red brick and added new front office and sales area.
1972: Added a diesel fuel tank.
1974: Built eight-bay service department including truck lift.
1993: Converted to Mobil with new modern fuel tanks and pumps including pay at the pump feature.
1998: Developed adjoining property to accommodate additional fuel tank, added more pumps and participated in Lake Street improvement plan.
“Many customers have been with us for 50 years and they are what make us tick,” says Vic Griseto, whose career began with pumping gas 40 years ago to his present co-ownership and management of the service department.
Today: Krage’s Mobil Servicenter services and repairs all imported and domestic cars and trucks in 14 bay areas.
Celebrating 57 Years
Addison Green Meadows Shopping Center
134 W. Lake St., Addison
History: Built and opened in 1955, the original 10,000-square-foot strip mall was among the first of its kind in the suburbs — offering shoppers a new dimension in local shopping which differed from traditional urban trends.
“At the time, Addison was a good-sized, bedroom community and home to many blue collar workers and their families,” says Michael M. Lullo, son of developer Anthony Lullo and current head of the Addison Green Meadows Shopping Center management team.
“When my dad developed the shopping center, strip malls hadn’t yet made an appearance in the suburbs and people tended to travel downtown for most of their shopping needs,” says Lullo, who recalls the days when Army Trail Road was a gravel road. “Jewel Food Store was among one of the early tenants moving into a 14,000-square-foot space and I remember being 12 or 13 years old in 1961 when dad signed a lease with Goldblatts department store with rent at $1.80 a square foot.”
Additional tenants and expansion soon followed, with Jewel’s space growing to encompass 40,000 square feet by 1965. Many of the earliest tenants, including the barber shop, shoe repair, beauty shop and real estate business, continue to call the Addison Green Meadows Shopping Center home.
Today: Addison Green Meadows Shopping Center is one of the most successful community shopping centers in all of DuPage County. Family owned and managed, the 185,000 square feet of business and retail space boasts low vacancy rates. Empty units are quick to fill with newcomers. Within the last year, new businesses include Diva Nails, Uncle Harry’s (premium ice cream cakes and desserts), Let’s Celebrate! (a party store), Diana’s Flowers (a florist and wedding planning business) and Durango Western Wear.
Celebrating 54 Years
Humes Funeral Home
320 W. Lake St., Addison
History: Owned and operated by John W. Humes Jr. and family. Humes Funeral Home opened in 1958 and is situated on two acres in a converted former farmhouse.
Today: Offering a wide range of merchandise, Humes Funeral Home also offers a variety of prepaid and pre-funded funeral services.
Heavily involved in the Addison community, Humes is an Addison Fire Protection District commissioner, past president of the DuPage County Funeral Directors Association and former member of the Addison Rotary Club.
“We have a long-standing commitment to service in Addison and the surrounding communities,” says Humes, director and grandfather of six.
Joining his father in business is funeral director John W. “Chip” Humes III, a former paramedic, graduate of Driscoll Catholic High School and Worsham College, and past-president of the Addison Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
He continues his path of community and professional leadership, serving as president-elect of the Illinois Funeral Directors Association, as a board member of the GlenOaks Hospital Foundation, a member of the Addison Historical Commission and as a 4th Degree Knight of Columbus.
Celebrating 32 Years
910 S. Stiles Drive, Addison
History: SWD Inc. opened in March 1980 with three employees in a 9,000-square-foot leased facility and began black oxiding, cleaning, and pickling operations with used equipment. In late 1980, the company began passivating stainless steel and in 1981 purchased Fastener Sorting Corp.
Today: A recognized leader in the metal finishing and fastener sorting fields, SWD runs three shifts per day in its 105,000-square-foot facility. The company is recognized as a premier metal finishing, dip spin coating and fastener sorting operation, with 24-hour operations and truck services to Chicago and Milwaukee. SWD specializes in working with stampings and fasteners such as screws, nuts, bolts and washers and is the largest black oxide shop in the U.S.